New (old) maps of our area Many readers may be familiar with the ‘Godfrey Edition’ reproductions of old Ordnance Survey maps. Over 2000 titles have been issued in this series of OS maps of towns throughout Britain and Ireland. The maps are taken from the original 25” to the mile map and reproduced at about 15 inches to the mile. Ealing and surrounding areas have been well covered in recent years, and further editions are now being made available, including a version of Ealing in 1934, published this January, to complement the earlier 1894 reprint. They cover the same area – approximately a mile by a mile and a half, stretching from Church Road in Hanwell eastward to Ealing Broadway and Windsor Road; and from Cleveland Road and Castlebar Hill southward to Webster Gardens and Rathgar Avenue.
Copies of OS maps of the mid-1930s have also recently been published for other local areas:
- South Ealing
- South Acton & Gunnersbury Park
- Ealing Common & West Acton
- Park Royal & Hanger Hill
- Chiswick & West Hammersmith
as well as many others further afield. In each case the new map complements an earlier edition, enabling exploration of how the areas have changed across the years. More details are available on the Godfrey website at www.alangodfreymaps.co.uk. A special series of local history talks on Mapping the 1930’s is in preparation, to be held in May and June at Ealing’s libraries.