Our public lecture on 3 June was on MacDonald (Max) Gill (1884-1947) the map maker, graphic designer, letterer and architect. The speaker was Caroline Walker, Max Gill’s great neice. Gill designed the standard lettering used on headstones and war memorials by the Imperial War Graves Commission. His illustrated maps have featured in a series of exhibitions including Magnificent Maps (2010) at the British Library, an exhibition MacDonald Gill, Out of the Shadows (2011) at the University of Brighton and in 2013 at the PM Gallery in Ealing, and at the Mind the Map exhibition (2012) at the London Transport Museum. He was the brother of Eric Gill, the typographer. The picture shows the ceiling at St Anselm’s Church, Hayes.