Our new Winnie the Pooh plaque was unveiled on 14 March by Shirley Harrison, author of a recent book about the famous bear. The plaque was erected on the Victorian east wing of The Elms, a fine grade II* listed Georgian building of 1740s, which is within the grounds of Twyford C of E High School. The Elms is next to the site of Farnell’s famous soft toy factory which existed from the 1890s to the mid 1950s. Daphne Milne, wife of the author A.A.Milne, bought one of Farnell’s ‘Alpha’ teddy bears from Harrods’ toy department in August 1921 for the first birthday of her son Christopher Robin Milne. He subsequently named his beloved bear ‘Winnie-The-Pooh’ and his father later wrote down and developed the adventures of the bear. For more information about plaques in Ealing see our Plaques pages.